Recommendations through the MLA Handbook
The examples in this Guide derive from more step-by-step information in:
MLA Handbook. 8th ed. , contemporary Language Association of America, 2016.
School of Musical Referencing
Includes the favored design for undergraduates utilized by the Monash School of Music-Conservatorium
Modern Language Association (MLA) Style
The MLA system utilizes in-text citations instead than footnotes or endnotes. The citations in-text are particularly brief, frequently simply the writer’s household title and a page number that is relevant. These citations correspond into the references that are full record of works cited at the conclusion associated with the document.
Directions and examples in this MLA guide derive from more information that is detailed: MLA Handbook. 8th ed., contemporary Language Association of America, 2016. Also make reference to the MLA Style Center.
In-text citations – General points
- In the event that writer’s title is mentioned within the phrase, only cite the web page quantity.
- In the event that writer’s name isn’t mentioned when you look at the sentence, cite both the true title together with web web web page quantity.
- Font and capitalisation must match that into the guide list.
- Long quotations (a lot more than four lines) ought to be indented.
- If you should be citing one or more guide in the point that is same a document, split the references with a semicolon e.g. (Smith 150; Jackson 41).
- In the event that ongoing work does not have any writer, make use of the name.
- If you’re citing two functions by the author that is same place a comma following the author’s name and include name terms. eg (Smyth, “Memories of Motherhood” 77) to differentiate among them in the in-text citation. Repeat this when citing each one of the sources through the entire written piece. Continue reading “Referencing and citing: MLA 8th”